Tricks for Keeping Your Luggage Under Fifty Pounds
If you are not a premeire status flyer, who is allowed additional luggage or unlimited suitcase weight, you may have to be more efficient when packing for a business trip or vacation. Here are some tips to keep your luggage under fifty pounds so you avoid extra baggage fees.
Wear It Instead of Packing It
- Shoes can take up a lot of room and can be heavy so wear your heaviest comfortable pair to the airport. Also, try to limit yourself to no more than two pairs.
- Wear layers on the plane. Sometimes the airplane is cool so if you are bringing only one jacket or sweater, carry it on the plane. You may be surprised to find you need it and you will avoid adding its bulky weight to your luggage.
- Do not pack a hair dryer because hotels will furnish one and they take up a lot of room. If you will be a house guest, ask your host if you can borrow a dryer.
- Limit your toiletries to the minimum. Most hotels offer lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and soap so do not pack them. Purchase a travel size deodorant and keep make-up to a minimum.
- Omit hardcover books. Pack paperbacks, use a kindle, or plan on borrowing books from a hotel library. Ask the resort in advance and you may be surprised that many hotels and resorts have libraries that are complimentary to guests.
Must Have Items and Packing Suggestions
- Pack clothes in one color scheme so that they are easy to mix and match. This will help limit the shoes you need as well.
- Bring packets of laundry detergent so you can hand wash a few items if needed. This will also save money on a cruise or resort where laundry is expensive.
- Pack a large scarf or shawl because it can change an outfit by being worn many ways. Try it as a sarong with a bathing suit, roll it thin to double as a belt, or use it as a shawl at night.
- Pack multi-use clothing such as a cover-up that can double as a robe, a reversible belt, or a tube dress that can be worn as a skirt. Business travelers can limit their suits, but bring ties and shirts to change their outftits..
Your Luggage and Hangers
- Pack a soft suitcase because it is likely to weigh less and will have more give to fit in a few extra items.
- If you are checking in a hanging bag, use wire hangers, which are lighter than wooden or plastic ones.
- After you lay out everything you want to bring, select two items you can live without and leave them at home.
- Check the weather in advance so you can pack efficiently without having to throw in clothes for every climate possibility.
- Leave room in your carry-on bag just in case you need to remove an item or two when you get to the airport. However, it it is best to weigh your luggage before you leave your house.
The above points are quite useful for getting your luggage on a good bargain but it entirely depends on your bargaining skills and your convincing power of persuasion that counts, for which you need to be aware of current prices of any commodity. Luggage is naturally for traveling purposes and storing your personal items but better keep a reisisemu kohver to be on the safer side.