God’s View of Believers: There’s nothing you can do to change it.

Posted on Updated on

Image

Yesterday was a really good day. I didn’t blatantly disobey God, I battled my temptations and won, I read the Bible and I prayed. This morning I woke up joyful and peaceful because of yesterday’s successes.

Today was not a good day. I didn’t feel like praying when I woke up this morning, I at least once blatantly disobeyed God and sinned, I have only prayed in “repentant” mode and I’ve barely read the Bible today. Unfortunately, the majority of my days look like today rather than yesterday; which leads me into a depressed mindset all too frequently. I often ask myself, “Where is the joy that Jesus said I would have?”

The Holy Spirit reminded me today, as He has had to repeatedly before, that I am too centered in on myself. Naturally, I tend to think and act as though God’s attitude toward me is dependent on my behavior. I gauge my actions and allow them to dictate my joy and peace rather than looking to the Cross of Jesus Christ to be my source of joy and peace.

I fail to remember that God sees me not as I am, but as Christ is. All because 2,000 years ago He chose to see Jesus not as He was, but as I am; evil, rebellious, selfish and vile. Not only did God decide to see me instead of Jesus on the Cross, but He also treated Jesus as He should have treated me. The Father poured out the cup of wrath He had stored up for me [even for the sins that I have committed and will commit this week] while Jesus drank every drop of it.

God has already dealt with the sin that had previously formed a chasm between Him and us. When we trusted in Christ, we were clothed in His divine perfection because He was clothed in our carnal condemnation on the Cross. The problem is that we struggle so hard to wake up every day and realize that gifted cloak of righteousness is still covering us just as efficiently as it did the day we first believed. When our spiritual eyes start getting directed away from the Cross, they often turn inward and gaze upon ourselves, which is a very dangerous place for them to look. Though we can all say that we are growing in holiness, we would be denying reality to say that we are still not dealing with the evil nature of our old selves every minute of every day. If we focus on the downfalls and evils that are still present in us without remembering the peace God has established through the Cross, madness and desperation are inevitable. And the more we focus on ourselves and try bettering our behaviors, the worse we become. But, ironically, the more we trust in Christ’s finished work and believe that God joyfully sees us at all times through the lens of the Cross, the behaviors we hate start improving.

“Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— “- Philippians 3:8-9

We can’t work and earn our way into God’s favor. It can only be received as a gift through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. God is pleased with me, and with you, because we have trusted in the work of His Son.

That’s good news!

Matt Moore †

About these ads

14 thoughts on “God’s View of Believers: There’s nothing you can do to change it.

Gene Jenkins said:
    April 25, 2012 at 12:11 am

Matt, it is such a good feeling to know that we aren’t alone in our “distress”. It’s taken me years to come to the conclusion that I’m not in charge of my own redemption. Jesus did it all and the only part I have in this is to believe, obey and remain faithful. Satan is the one that keeps reminding me of how bad a person I’ve been and how short I am of being who God wants me to be. You are absolutely right about how we should not be turning our spiritual eyes inward and looking at the sinful person within. This only keeps our hearts in despair. When we keep our eyes toward Jesus, we see perfection. We see love and forgiveness. We see strength to face another day and the hope of eternal life to come. Thanks, brother, for these reminders today!

Davide said:
      April 25, 2012 at 3:09 am

@gene, bravo!

A Tethered Kite said:
    April 25, 2012 at 4:54 am

Amen. What wonderful thoughts to start my day with. Praising Him with you and praying for you.

Davide said:
    April 25, 2012 at 4:55 pm

@ Matt I like the new layout!!! Reads well.

Matt Moore responded:
      April 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Thanks! I really like it too.. much easier to navigate!

Davide said:
    April 25, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Davide said:
    April 25, 2012 at 9:32 pm

@matt, have you ever considered running a post on the increased risks of homosexual behaviors? SSA men/teens are not hearing it from the LGBT movement

Davide said:
    April 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm

forgive duplicate comment

James Columbus said:
    April 25, 2012 at 11:03 pm

@Davide: “have you ever considered running a post on the increased risks of homosexual behaviors?”

I have no problem with teaching about personal responsibility (both for oneself and others). This doesn’t mean just using condoms but REDUCING the number of sexual partners and avoiding anonymous sex altogether. Honestly, though, if one has to use a condom with someone because they don’t know them sufficiently well enough to trust them, maybe one should not be having sex with them in the first place … you think?

What I would take issue with is the implication that there is some safety by living a heterosexual life. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. Millions of heterosexual women across America have HPV (which causes cervical cancer). Millions more have herpes which, while not life-threatening, can cause blindness and other severe medical complications. Further, infidelity happens in the marriages of heterosexuals as well, which increases the risk of HIV to them.

Instead of abstinence-only education (unrealistic if you look at statistics), educators would do better to focus on encouraging monogamy, whether heterosexual or homosexual. .Cohabitation is far more common, so it doesn’t really make sense to focus entirely on abstinence until marriage.

Davide said:
    April 25, 2012 at 11:57 pm

come on James you know better than that. The cover ups has got to end. Sodomy is much greater risk than vaginal. Active gay men make up no more than 2 to 3 percent of the adult population yet reponsible for 62 percent of new HIV cases. How in the world would you know abstinence doesn’t work? When was the last time you were chaste? When are you LGBT folk going to give up on the excuses and start working on solutions? After you all are ill and or dead? Its very sad how the LGBT movement cares very little about the health of gay teens and men. But I aint gay so they won’t be infecting me, if you all are getting off harming each other nothing I can say will change this, very very sad.

James Columbus said:
    April 26, 2012 at 1:44 am

Davide writes: “After you all are ill and or dead? ”

Obviously, I’m not dead.

However, I’ve never had an STD and I’m over 40. I’ve had a couple long term relationships in my life, and those were really my only sexual contacts. You must have me confused with someone else, though. I *HAVE* critiqued those in the gay community who have no regard for the lives and health of others, and I’ve done it in gay blogs, directly to them. There should be no confusion as to where I stand.

“How in the world would you know abstinence doesn’t work? ”

I’m not saying it won’t work. Actually, celibacy would be 100% effective. If everyone simply stopped having sex entirely, that would be the end of STDs, wouldn’t it?

I’m saying that telling people to remain abstinent clearly is NOT working. Most people, Christians included, are not virgins when they marry.

Those are just the facts. What would you suggest?

Davide said:
    April 26, 2012 at 3:06 am

true, i would suggest everyone modify their behaviors. I understand you. Maybe I am too difficult on the LGBT movement but i have reasons. On my own blog i have spoken much about these issues. I did not mean to include you personally. Thank you james

Joe Bruce (@jzepi98105) said:
    April 26, 2012 at 6:18 am

Great post Matt! The same topic, being holy even though we are not perfect, was dealt with this week on an EWTN show. I just watched it on youtube and then checked out your blog so it seemed like more than a coincidence. I know this might be a departure for you but I think you might get a kick out of this show if you want to check it out. God bless.

cal4u said:
    April 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Dear Matt, man do I understand your struggles, I’ve been there, and at times still have them, but not as frequent as it once was.
    Here is something I feel to share with you, it’s from an excellent on-line devotional, called; “Hungry Heart”. May the Lord bless it to your mind, heart and soul.

4-26. KNOW TO GROW

“And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent” (John 17:3).

The heartbreaking knowledge of self brings a life-giving compensation, which is knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. The needs generated by the realization of the sin of self produce the necessary motivation and hunger which cause us to focus upon the Lord Jesus and become conformed to His image. “And we all, while with face unveiled we behold in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are ourselves transformed continually into the same likeness” (2 Corinthians 3:18, Cony.).

“Many a new believer has obtained relief in his conscience from his sins, because of faith in the Blood of Jesus Christ; that is, he does not see further than Romans 3. He has faith in the work of Christ, but has not yet come in faith to Christ. He is like the woman who touched the hem of His garment, assured of His work but not yet acquainted with Himself.” -J.B.S.

“It is one thing to believe on the Lord Jesus, to be born again, to be saved. That is a glorious thing as a beginning, but it alone will not take you right through all you have to meet; and if you are really in the Lord’s hands He will see to it that by virtue of need you are drawn into knowing more and more of His Son. It is the normal course of a true, Holy Spirit-governed Christian life that, in order to get through, an increase of Christ, a growing discovery of Christ, is necessary.” -T. A-S.

“That I may know Him” (Philippians 3:10).

So I hope this blesses you, but I will add that no matter what you go through, always know He, is with you, and at times you will NOT understand what He is trying to get at within you, you can TRUST Him, and there will be times you will see you don’t trust Him, because that is the very “flesh” He is trying to get at and deal with. It’s all part and parcel of the on going of the “Sanctification” process. One thing you can be assured of “He will NEVER leave you, nor FORSAKE you”. Remember this song……”though none go with me, yet will I still follow”, He will give you the strength to keep on following, for it’s ALL up to Him, for HE KEEPS us. It does not depend on “how much we do for Him, nor how good I am doing” it’s ALL about Him and His capabilities.
    In His Eternal Love,