Posted on Updated on

I think that a lot of people don’t really understand the central concept of Christianity, especially in the gay community. Before I became a believer, I heard about people who had claimed to be “cured” of their homosexuality by Jesus but then a couple years later denounced that statement and returned to the gay lifestyle; either saying that Christianity is all a lie or that God doesn’t care if they are gay. And since becoming a believer, I have seen this more and more and more.

The promise of the gospel is not to make you “straight”, but to make you holy and blameless before God; not by your own righteousness, but Christ’s. You can only really come to Jesus when you genuinely see your need for Him, not just pertaining to your homosexual desires, but because the core of your nature is sinful and evil and you do not have the ability to escape it. Heterosexual and homosexual people alike are sinners by nature and need the grace of God found in the Cross of Jesus Christ in order to be saved. Knowing Jesus is the centrality of Christianity, and by knowing Him you enter into eternal life through Him.

You can’t come to Jesus simply for sexual re-orientation, it doesn’t work like that. Yes, you should acknowledge your sin and continually ask Him to heal your desires, but you shouldn’t bank your faith on whether or not your sexual preference changes. You should bank your faith on the finished, redeeming work of Jesus Christ on the Cross; that’s the only kind of faith that perseveres.

Your problem goes much deeper than that of sexual nature. Your problem is that you are a sinner, down to your very core, regardless of sexual orientation. Your only hope is to desperately take hold of the Cross of the Son of God in order to escape the penalty you surely deserve. The penalty we all surely deserve.

God can heal you, and you should believe that He will. But more importantly, remember this: God owes you absolutely nothing, and even if you go to your grave here in this temporary world still fighting homosexual desires, God is still good and magnificently merciful for not giving you what you really deserve… eternal anguish and torture.

Everyone who is in Christ will one day be free from sin and the temptation to sin… hold on to that hope. Look ahead with persevering eyes to the reality of that day and allow the passion for the One who stood in your place to fuel you to turn away from your innate sinfulness every single day.

I still fight homosexual desires, and I’m aware many people think it’s because I “lack faith”… and if they want to think that, they can go right ahead. Ironically, all of those people are still tempted by sin in various ways.

I believe God can heal me, and I’m going to believe that He will heal me… but He hasn’t totally done that yet. And I still love Him. He’s still good. I have more joy flowing through my heart than I have ever, ever had before. His sovereign purposes for doing certain things and not doing certain things are for His glory and my good. I trust Him completely.

“God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”- 1 Corinthians 10:13

About these ads

95 thoughts on “Christianity isn’t about going from “Gay” to “Straight”…. It’s is about turning from Sin to Jesus.

Dean said:
    April 13, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Good perceptive view on this subject.

Nicola Mansfield said:
    April 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Beautiful! Well said.

Dana Daggett said:
    April 13, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Excellent article.

Yolie Seward said:
    April 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Wow, yes is it ALL ABOUT JESUS!!! Matt, the Joy and Love of Christ is so genuinly inside of you. Yes, you are absolutely right, as Christians we all still have to fight temptations, so let’s continue to press on this Awesome journey with and in Christ Jesus, and we shall reach God’s purpose for our lives. Love you Matt!

Rus Huffstutler said:
    April 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Deuteronomy 31:5-7 – You have courage and it takes courage to serve God and show God you love God’s ways more than yourself or to stand in opposition to a neo-cultural position. I hope more people who have surrendered to Christ will be encouraged to share their story of giving themselves to God. Women who have had abortions are speaking up and their words have led other women to Jesus – I hope more people who share your story can help more find Jesus Life is so much more rich and rewarding away from sins and serving Jesus. I hope you have a great week. 1 Corinthians 16:13

[...] Fonte: http://moorematt.com/2012/04/13/christianity-is-not-about-going-from-gay-to-straight-its-about-turni…     Commenti disabilitati    Loginononhttp://www.nuovacreatura.itonArticoli più condivisiAmici di Facebook new TWTR.Widget( { rrp : 5, theme : { shell : { background : "#f0eee5", color : "#595959" }, tweets : { background : "#ffffff", color : "#000000", links : "#6aaef1" } }, width : "auto", height : 400, features : { live : true, scrollbar : true, timestamp : true, hashtags : true, avatars : true, loop : false, behaviour : "all" }, version : 2, interval : 6000, type : "profile", title : "Twitter", subject : "Nuova Creatura", search : null } ).render().setUser('nuova_creatura').start(); [...]

April 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm

@ Matt,

Great post. I know for some Christians conversion is a one time event a “born again” experience and once saved always saved regardless of personal sin or lack of repentance. Then there are other Christians who’s conversion is continually. We sin, we repent, we make contrition, we atone. We work out our salvation with “fear and trembling”-see Jude and Philippians 2:12. We are willing active participants in our salvation: co-redeemers.

The sexual sin of homosexuality is the fruit of a development disorder and often the first sin that must be repented of is the sin of resentment. The second is pride. Then and only then can healing take place.

Most persons with SSA have physical attractions towards the opposite sex of various degrees. Homosexuality is a sliding scale, unless of course a person identifies as ‘LGBT’ in that case everyone is “queer”.

Certainly, for many the orientation is deep-seated but if they are Christians they can strive for Christian perfection by living chaste lives. A life of sacramental grace and supernatural joy.

Under no circumstance can homosexual sex acts be approved.

Grazie,

Davide

tylerjsilver said:
    April 13, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Recently through his power I was healed from my sexual immorality. I neither deserved what I received or asked for it. God saw that I was hurting and lost so he decided to restore me. As I have been restored I can testify to the fact that through him all things are possible.

lisa said:
    April 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Amen!!! You hit the nail on the head. So true, so true.

Byron D. Walker said:
    April 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Great post and great to see God working in a persons life.

Joe Bruce (@jzepi98105) said:
    April 14, 2012 at 8:34 am

Great stuff!

sappi60 said:
    April 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Nailed it again, my brother! Jesus never promised an easy walk of faith in Him. You and I deal with our sexuality, for others it is some other sin. But for the hope that awaits us….all creation groans in anticipation. We don’t walk alone!!! Keep speaking the truth!!

James Columbus said:
    April 15, 2012 at 12:28 am

“The promise of the gospel is not to make you “straight”, but to make you holy and blameless before God; not by your own righteousness, but Christ’s. ”

But ultimately it *is* to make you straight, right? I mean … eventually, Jesus will remove any happiness you find in the physicality of your own gender and replace it with a keen interest in the opposite sex, yes? Maybe not tomorrow, but eventually, those “gay feelings” just keep going away until eventually you find yourself desiring women. Guys will become invisible to you (at least sexually) the way anyone over 30 is invisible to a teenager.

It makes little sense to me that Christ would decide to save you only to allow you to remain in a condition that essentially angers Him and provokes His wrath on a continual basis. If He’s going to save you, He’s going to fix you as well, if not for your sake then for His own.

James Columbus said:
    April 15, 2012 at 12:33 am

Davide writes: “We are willing active participants in our salvation: co-redeemers.”

You MUST be Catholic. Although I find the Calvinist doctrines repugnant, they really do make sense, if you think about it. If man is “dead in his sins”, he has no capacity to even be interested in being saved. Christ must override the person’s will and change him. What he used to will, he no longer wills. How did that happen? Surely not of his own will.

What happens then? If Christ saved him, then he is saved, indeed. You can’t undo something Christ Himself has willed. If you can, He is not sovereign. You’ll eventually lapse into open theism, believing God really isn’t omniscient or omnipotent and a whole host of other heresies ….
    ;-)

April 15, 2012 at 1:11 am

@ james I am Catholic. Tell me how can you make ‘sense’ out of something that is ‘repugnant’?

James Columbus said:
      April 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Davide, Calvinism is sensible in that it is coherent. Everything ties together very nicely in its “five points” and also seems to tie in to Scripture more than any other theological system.

To summarize:

We experience first our depravity and need of salvation.
      Then we experience the irresistible grace of God leading us toward faith.
      Then we trust the sufficiency of the atoning death of Christ for our sins.
      Then we discover that behind the work of God to atone for our sins and bring us to faith was the unconditional election of God.
      And finally we rest in his electing grace to give us the strength and will to persevere to the end in faith.
      (http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/articles/what-we-believe-about-the-five-points-of-calvinism)

The big problem is that you can’t adhere to this system without acknowledging that God has ALSO decreed to condemn a large portion of humanity (the non-Elect) and that these souls have no ability to choose salvation and are essentially entirely without hope. Why? Because Christ didn’t die for them (limited atonement).

The notion that God created someone merely to throw them in a fiery Hell is a huge intellectual challenge to the notion of the goodness of God. When you ask why He needs to do this, you usually get something about how God is “more glorified” through this. When you press further, you’ll also discover that this is for the benefit of the Elect, not Him. He doesn’t “gain” anything by it. So essentially, sinners were created so that God’s Elect will better appreciate the unendurable tortures they’re NOT getting.

Nice, huh?

(Here’s a nice critique of it: http://www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/openhse/calvinism.html)

April 15, 2012 at 8:01 pm

@ James, I am in the least bit interested in converting Calvinism, Calvin was wrong. He believed God alone was responsible for everything. Calvin did not believe in free-will in obtaining eternal joy. Calvin believed the “elect” will be saved with no merit of their own. That is a denial of the Gospel and doesn’t make much sense. It’s like this: the Truth will set you free or it will make you miserable. The choice is ours.  Hey next time can you provide a link for some great coupons…they would be of better use. Okay see you :)

Ciao

April 16, 2012 at 12:48 am

To James C: I take note you are discussing “Calvinism”, I have heard of him, and some of his understanding of God’s Word.

I personally have never read anything by Calvin, but I do know that the Lord above has shown me through His Spirit (which will teach us God’s Truth) that persons are not capable of choosing God, or the Lord. Man is utterly “dead in their trespasses and sins”, so if they be in darkness, they NEVER will chose the Light, unless God Himself gives them the Grace to draw them to seek Him, or He just out-rightly gives them the Grace to meet Him face to face(not literally, for no man has seen God).

The fallen man has absolutely no free-will. If he thinks he does have free-will, then he is making himself out as if he is a god. That was the Devils lie to Eve in the Garden of Eden. The fruit of the Tree of Knowledge was the forbidden fruit, to be able to choose between good and evil. That’s is why it was “not to be eaten”, for we are ONLY to feed off of the Tree of Life, Jesus Christ.

To preach that man has the capacity to “repent and turn from sin” then chose Jesus, is saying that there is some “good” in man to be able to chose good, in this case “choosing God”. When the Lord said it himself, that NO MAN seeks out God, unless the Father draw him.
        Pride is at the root of this type of evil teaching and preaching, and if it is NOT God’s doctrine, then it is the doctrine of demons. This type of teaching is not the Gospel.

Now you speak of “limited salvation”, I’m waiting on the Lord for His understanding and wisdom concerning this, I can see how this could be correct. And if it is, it is not a mar against God’s Holy Character, It only reveals that God knows mans heart and the depth of the individuals wickedness. One only needs to look at the Pharaoh who resisted Moses. Since Pharaohs heart was dead set against God, therefore God hardened his heart all the more. God is God, and who amongst us has any right or authority to question God and His Ways, for they are always Right, True, Righteous and Holy. And many people will hate Him for that, their pride can not and will not accept that. So they will call anything to do with an upright God, evil, and anything that is anti-God or evil, they will call good. That makes me shudder.

So I state if “limited salvation” is only for those who are predesignated and chosen, then God is God and I will not question it, but I’m still seeking the Lord to receive the truth and nothing but the truth on this subject. I would not call this teaching “repugnant”, that is rather “fleshly’ for you may only be understanding it in your flesh. And one day you may have to repent of ever saying this word in such flippant manner. For I take all of this very seriously and soberly, and may the Lord grant you that type of attitude also.

It’s unfortunate that Davide believes in this teaching, but not surprising since he is a RC, therefore he is not a Christian, but religious, and believes in the lie that this false church
        teaches. May the Lord grant him the grace to see His truth, and not man’s.

The Lord bless you all abundantly

James Columbus said:
    April 15, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Davide writes: “Calvin believed the “elect” will be saved with no merit of their own. That is a denial of the Gospel and doesn’t make much sense.”

Ephesians 2:8-9 “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.”

I was raised Catholic, so I’m quite familiar with the notion of “cooperating” in the work of salvation, but … it’s not really Biblical.

Your point just underlines a point I’ve made several times: there’s no universal consensus on these basis tenets. No one really knows … we just pick a theology that fits our disposition. Whether we truly “cooperate” in the work of salvation or not is hardly a trivial issue, would you agree?

Now, homosexuality is given FAR less attention in Scripture than these difficult and contentious issues surrounding basic doctrines, yet people somehow seem sure about what God thinks regarding the former. I find that a bit odd …

April 16, 2012 at 12:20 am

@james of course there is universal consensus on the basis of the tenets-the Church is universal, apostolic, and one. Yes we really do know-it’s called faith-and faith is not guesswork. We do know what God thinks about homosexuality, the Holy Scriptures along with sacred tradition are clear. It was the LGBT community/movement who brought this creed (tolerance, acceptance, pride of homosexual behavior) to the world, not the Jews, not the Christians, not the Muslims nor those of no religious faith who adhere to the natural moral code. How many times homosexual behavior is mentioned in the Scriptures is irrelevant. However, we don’t need Scripture nor God to show us homosexuality is contrary to the Natural Law, human reason alone is sufficient. About 5,000 years ago before the times of the Jews homosexual behavior was accepted. Things were not looked at as heterosexuality vs homosexuality but dominate vs submissive. But humans grew in itelligence and our minds evolved. The LGBT movement want us to return to the times of the old time religion of paganism. But we can’t because we are too smart now-we understand heterosexuality is God’s masterplan not homosexuality because it serves no good purpose and a dead end. In many ways the LGBT movement is a religion based on paganism, hedonism, narcassism and pederasty.

James Columbus said:
    April 16, 2012 at 1:44 am

“But humans grew in itelligence and our minds evolved.”

They did? Then why did it take us until the 19th century to determine that buying and selling human beings like cattle to use for one’s own profit was morally wrong? Actually, the SBC didn’t apologize for its role in American slavery until 1990-something.

Do you think slavery is LESS wicked than homosexual conduct? If so, we have a very different hierarchy of values.

“In many ways the LGBT movement is a religion based on paganism, hedonism, narcassism and pederasty.”

I find that an offensive charge coming from someone who adheres to a faith ruled by men who live pampered lifestyles in lavish castles while dressed in royal vestments and who shielded from all legal repercussions the priests who raped and mentally destroyed the youths in their charge.

Shame on you.

April 16, 2012 at 4:11 am

@ James so you are offended? So what? What exactly did I say that was untrue? I know for the LGBT movement feelings trump fact but feelings are irrelevant. You mention the child abuse scandal in the Church but failed to mention over 80 percent of the victims were post-puberty males in otherwords homosexual abuse. Most of the abusers were also involved with other gay men-in fact hundreds of gay priests have died from the AIDS virus. You can not shame me-this is not my first rodeo with the LGBT movement. I find it odd that the LGBT movement denies homosexuality was the cause of most of these abuses yet there are LGBT groups who are actually advocating that consent laws be lowered to 14 years of age the same age as many of these victims. Some LGBT groups are actually advocating the legalization of child rape.

April 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm

@Davide,

It is because of your ungodly churches “rules” that deprive the right of marriage to men, and women! So therefore makes it very easy for this type of behaviour to exist and to be hidden within your RC organization. Matter of fact due to this ungodly, unrighteous, unbiblical teaching many men and women who serve the RC organization are tormented, and I must add that the RC history backs this up.

How many children were born in secret, because priests and nuns fornicated thus sending the children to orphanages, which were abused to great extent? The RC history and present state is condemned in God’s eyes, for it does not represent the True Gospel which was presented by the Lord Jesus Christ and His Apostles. You are not righteous, you are not a Christian. For the tenets of your organization deny the very truth of what God Represents. Jesus Christ is the only “Mediator” between God and Man, no pope, nor priest is acceptable in the eyes of God, nor are they presently, the true representative of God on earth.

The RC is a pagan organization which has murdered millions of people that would NOT conform to its belief system. It was prevalent in supporting Hitler and the destruction of not only the Jewish people, but anyone who assisted in helping the Jews to escape the tyranny of the RC. And they also placed homosexuals within the concentration camps, and anyone who was not mentally or physically capable of contributing to Hitler’s regime. That was murder, and
      God’s word states anyone who commits murder would not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Your only Hope is that Jesus Christ will grant you the gift of repentance, and open your eyes to the delusion you believe in, for without it, you are lost and dwell in darkness and have not the light of Jesus Christ.

I shall pray for you as the Lord leads me.

April 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm

@ Cal4u, If “the Lord” leads you to pray for me ask that I win the lottery!

Are you a Jehovah Witness? Westboro Baptist folk? Or a Fundamentalist-are you member of a Protestant faith-if so which one? I would like to know so I can better understand the person behind the vitriol.

Grazie

April 16, 2012 at 4:00 pm

@Davide, I am born of God by His given grace, a member of the true Body of Christ. Born again of His Spirit. I, like many true believers, am not associated with any organized religion. Simple faith and trust in Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Many denominations are compromising the faith and becoming one with the RC organization, so I have “come out” of the land of idols and false
        belief and false teaching.

True love desires no one to perish, therefore one must be strong in the Lord and in the Power of His Word, to reveal to those who walk not in the path of Righteousness. Therefore if you “think” I speak in “strong” language or as you “think” vitriol,( meaning abusive, or venomous speech), you would accuse me of such, for you are offended. God’s truth will be offensive to all who walk in the dark, or in the flesh, for that matter. God’s truth must cut to the chase and not pussy foot around it, for that really is not the Love of God at all.

What you have done is accuse me of “abusive language”, while you ignore the truthful accusations against your RC organization. The guilt you carry for following it’s teachings will falsely accuse me for speaking plainly and surely, by “labeling it abusive”. You know the RC has centuries of blood upon it’s hands due to their abuses to all humanity, and the killing of innocents,which can never be justified whatsoever, yet they have never repented of it, they have just given some sort of lip service. I will not be “politically correct”, for that would not be truly loving you and speaking the truth. Prove me wrong.

The Jehovah Witnesses are not true believers in Christ Jesus, they teach a different Christ, and deny the power of the Holy Spirit. Westboro Baptist are not true believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, they are a cult, and teach not the true Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Protestant, if you mean by that Presbyterian, Anglican, Episcopalian, or Methodist, they are all part of the World Council of Churches and represent not nor deliver the true Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, they are actually quite active in the Ecumenical movement which is of the Anti-Christ spirit, and not that of the true Body of Christ. Nor am I part of the Pentecostal denomination, (I once was part of this group), but they greatly have erred from the truth, and I now have nothing to do with them. Nor do I accept the Emerging Church teaching and belief. Nor do I follow after the enemies of the Gospel such as: Billy Graham, Rick Warren, Dr. James Dobson, and most of the well known radio and Bible teachers and preachers, pastors and tv personalities that so-call represent Jesus Christ and His Doctrine.

I hope that answers your questions.
        The Lord bless you with His Love

James Columbus said:
    April 16, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Davide, I’m growing weary of your implied accusations. Isn’t “bearing false witness” a sin?

Pedophilia is OUTSIDE the gay mainstream. Neither I nor anyone I know endorses the rape of minors or seeks to reduce the age of consent from what it currently is.

You are so typical of other Catholic apologists who want to play the rape of children off as somehow being the responsibility of homosexuals. Rape is rape, whatever form it takes. Does the fact that thousands of women are sexually assaulted every year by heterosexual men imply that YOU are also a rapist by virtue of your sexual orientation?

Further, it was YOUR HIERARCHY that swept that rape under the rug by shuttling predators from one parish to another. This went far beyond a few depraved priests.

April 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm

@james c: I pray you will stay in our Lord’s Peace, you are talking to an “unsaved” person who follows a cult, so most of what he will say is due to him being in darkness. So it should not surprise you if he will “mishandle” the truth of his RC and almost “seemingly” justify all of its actions and end up accusing you.
      That is the trick of the devil, which is the RC’s master. He is trying to get your goat, let it pass, just keep up the good work of defending the faith.
      In His Eternal Love.

James said:
    April 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm

This conversation is a perfect example of why I disagree with all organized religion. It is all about being devisive and condemnation of others.

April 16, 2012 at 5:42 pm

@James, to whom are you talking about? Divisive are the ones who bring in false teachings, those that are speaking true Doctrine are not to be blamed of condemnation. God’s Word speaks condemnation upon those that error from the truth and teach their lies to others. Darkness is darkness, light is light, and the both shall always bring conflict.

So it would be advantageous to be specific in whom you feel is being “divisive” and “condemning”, so that the parties that are guilty may know who they are. God is a God of specifics never generalities. To not speak as such, using proper scriptures to back up your argument, or accusing statement is that of a coward and compromises truth. For Love will always speak truth and not play it safe by being “politically correct”.

James said:
        April 16, 2012 at 7:02 pm

cal4u,

All I will say is that the “christianity” that you espouse…. I want NOTHING to do with it. If that who “Christ” is…. I want NOTHING to do with him.

I read an interesting quote recently that many Christians need to learn: “When confronted with the choice between being right or being kind, may I always chose to be kind.”

April 16, 2012 at 7:20 pm

@James, you have to be specific in what are your concerns, not being specific is rather cowardly and not a biblical stance. Are you a believer?
    I have read some of your replies, and have wondered what exactly do you believe, and in whom do you believe in? I accept none of your accusations, for your not being specific or honest. Your dishonesty in handling this is NOT being kind, it’s being deceitful, according to God’s word:Rom_12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
    Php_4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

James said:
      April 16, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Cowardly? You are being ridiculous. I’m trying to be kind…. unlike yourself who uses your faith and Bible as a cudgel.

April 16, 2012 at 9:21 pm

@James, yes cowardly, you still refuse to follow up with any scriptures to back up your reason for disagreeing. That’s also being deceitful lacking honesty.

James said:
        April 16, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Listen…. I’ve mentioned in several of my posts that I’m not a literal reader of the Bible. I’m not going to start throwing Bible verses around to promote my point of view.

Hypocrite? LOL

April 16, 2012 at 7:24 pm

@James. would you be kind enough to inform me where you read the quote from, and or by whom? Thank you.

Lord bless you.

James said:
    April 16, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I actully heard the quote on NPR. They were interviewing a children’s book author about her book. In the book, one of the school teachers writes short sayings on the blackboard every day. That quote was one of the sayings. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I thought to myself…. that is wrong with most of Christianity today. They are so busy trying to be right all the time that they forget to be kind.

April 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Thank you for informing me, it’s not a quote from the Lord’s word. So in your estimation, you should love people to death by denying the truth. Bye the way, Jesus was kind by speaking the truth and He died for it. Why? Because the people of that time did not want to hear the truth from God Himself.

Which is happening now also, if Jesus came back to this earth and spoke the same truth, they would put Him to death all over again. So you are not speaking about the kind of Love the Lord is talking about.

James said:
        April 16, 2012 at 9:22 pm

OH…. I would love to see how Christians would react to Christ, if he were to return today. I think they would be a modern day: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Pharisees

April 16, 2012 at 7:51 pm

@Cal4u, I asked you a question and you answered it. I better understand you point of view, creed, and theology. Thank you.

April 16, 2012 at 7:58 pm

@ james i think this is going a little crazy if i could offer a sign of peace it would be some of the points you raised is legit but snow balls chance in hell we are going to be in full agreement. I am a guest here so i have no want or need to argue for its own sake. Thank you

James Columbus said:
    April 16, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Davide, I’m not sure if you’re referring to me or the other James. I really am not out to get Catholics (or anyone, for that matter). Going on, let’s just make sure we avoid over generalizations and applying false labels because someone happens to share characteristics of others. I don’t agree with everything every other gay person does (and certainly not those who are members of NAMBLA). I’m sure you don’t agree with everything the hierarchy does.

Thanks.

April 16, 2012 at 8:35 pm

@ james i agree i never said all LGBT organizations. I wasn’t even talking about the man boy love jerks they are not part of the LGBT culture. They are evil to the core. I was talkin about other groups within the LGBT movement that want consent ages lowered. Even Savage has spoken about this openly. But i think we both agree we can never allow this to happen. You are correct Christians should work on kindness but we are not the only ones. But perhaps we should be held to a higher standard after all our Shepard we believe to be God. In closing ‘tolerance’ is a two-way street not a one way avenue. Thank you

James said:
      April 16, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I think the false argument that a lot of very conservative Christians run into regarding tolerance is that they like to tell everyone else how they should live their life….. and when they get called out for it. They start asking for tolerance.

Many different countries with fewer “sex isses and crimes” than the United States have lower consent laws. I don’t know of any LGBT organization that is trying to change consent laws. I don’t see how this is an LGBT issue at all.

April 16, 2012 at 9:24 pm

@James, you are such a hypocrite.

April 16, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I was told in Christian college that if I married a woman my same-sex attractions would decrease over time. Science has shown the exact opposite to be true. Even evangelical professor Warren Throckmorton admits this. He is conservative but honest, and is more informed on science regarding this issue than any other Christian source.

April 17, 2012 at 12:15 am

@James, thank you for finally revealing who you really are. You are not a Christian, that changes the dynamic all together. I can not hold you to what the Lord’s word proclaims, I responded accordingly because I was under the presumption that you had a living relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. I did have some suspicion were not truly a child of God, but I needed the proof. Thank you for being honest. Therefore I will not hold you to the truth, since you will not believe it, if you are not part of it.

So have a great life and all the best. You contributed in assisting me in sharpening my skills in proclaiming the Lord’s word and how He desires His will to be done.
    Take care and the Lord bless you.

April 17, 2012 at 12:28 am

Cal4u, I want to ask you something: You scourge those who do not agree with you with repugnant filth, have the tenacity to claim you are a disciple of the Blessed Savior then after you are done trivializing others you close your comment with a blessing…kinda sanctimonious, no?

April 17, 2012 at 1:37 am

Davide, What was “repugnant filth”? Can you be more specific? If not then I do not have to answer you for you are dealing with this is an dishonest manner. And I have not “trivialized” anything which I have made statements on, I take everything concerning the Lord and His truth with the utmost soberness. Everything God stands for is to be considered with seriousness. So if you could be more specific where I have trivialized a matter, I will gladly go over it.

As far as being as you put it “sanctimonious”, well the Lord teaches me to bless those that will even disagree with me, as well as hate me and misuse me. So I’m only doing as instructed. Not guilty on that count what so ever.

April 17, 2012 at 1:51 am

@ James I think you are correct Christians have no right to tell others how to live their lives. However we have the right to preach the Gospel anywhere. I have no right to tell any ‘gay’ couple how to live, this is true but they have no right to tell me I must accept or even tolerate their relationship if it violates my human and constitutional rights. Same-sex ‘marriage’ or if you prefer ‘marriage equality’ changes hundreds of laws that effect all other Americans even the religious rights of others. I suppose lower consent laws would result in less ‘crimes’ but only because less people would be charged with crimes-child molestation. I would encourage you to look at LGBT statements, creeds and propaganda starting with the San Fransico platform of 1972 regarding consent laws and come forward.ACT-UP a LGBT organization has been very open about lower consent laws. I do encourage you to analysis any findings you discover. I would like to know do you know any LGBT organization that has publicly stated it does not support lower consent laws has any condemn its use? Thank you

April 17, 2012 at 3:06 am

@cal4u, the Lord teaches you to bless people? Is that before or after you accuse and curse them? Tell what does it mean to be a Christian? If a person came up to you and said they wanted to become a Christian what would you say? What would be your actions? I never said you trivialize matters. I said you trivialize others meaning people. You claimed James was not a child of God. You made him trivial by who’s authority can you make such a claim? Yes we know you are innocent and can’t be blamed on that account but you are not a victim here no one hates you, nor has misused you.

April 17, 2012 at 3:27 am

Davide, again I ask show me the written proof, where I accused and cursed someone? And you still have not answered my first question in my last reply to you what did I say that was “repugnant filth”? Answer that one, until you do I will not answer another question….why? You are being dishonest within this discourse. I’m being real and honest, just answer my questions first, if you won’t then I don’t have to involve myself with your trickery.

James is not a child of God, that was not trivializing, it was the truth, he revealed he was not a believer. God’s Word is the true believers authority, something you know little about. As for the rest of your comment, I never said I was being victimized here, nor did I say I was being hated here. I was only quoting the Lord’s words. Get your facts right.

James said:
        April 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm

cal4u,

This is the last time I will respond to any of your posts.

News Flash: YOU ARE NOT JESUS! Stop acting like it. Also, it would be nice if you stopped acting like an all-knowing sanctimonious ass.

April 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Davide, When you mention having the right to preach the Gospel, please remember that in all four Gospels Christ never said a word against gays. But if you Google “Jesus affirmed a gay couple” you will get a reference to the Gospel of Matthew where Jesus encounters someone we today might call gay.

April 17, 2012 at 5:01 pm

@writerjermome, Christ never affirmed a homosexual couple. If he had His Apostles and the early Church would be affirning homosexual couples. Load of crap. Jesus also never mentioned rapists nor the sin of child molestation nor incest, nor fisting, nor aborting nor gerbiling, nor gender confusion and a host of other things, what is your point?

Passinthrough said:
      January 8, 2013 at 4:24 am

Wow I don’t understand why everyone can just believe in Jesus and nothing but Him and His grace and the bible which is the only true word of God. And Protestants are only started by martin Luther who only wanted to stop people from thinking they can buy their salvation which was bought by Jesus Christ and Him ALONE!!!!

April 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Davide,

Jesus dwells within me,and I in Him, as He teaches me, I speak it. Just as the Lord was one with the Father and only did as His Father told Him, so it’s the same between me and my Lord and His Heavenly Father, for we are one in unity bound by His Holy Spirit. This language you will not be able to understand until you meet Jesus face to face in His Salvation.

It’s you that has the problem with being honest in this discussion. You don’t have the nerve to answer my questions because you want to avoid them, for you know exactly what I’m after. You are being deceitful, not I.

You dwell in darkness, so therefore His Light is not within you. And you will not see the light. I don’t care if you if you don’t respond to any of my future posts. You haven’t done so honestly up to now, so what’s the point of continuing to do so.

In His Eternal Love,
    The Lord bless you with the Knowledge of His Salvation, by Grace and not of works. lest any man should boast.
    Amen!

April 17, 2012 at 4:36 pm

@Cal4u, Are you a pompous ass or a teenager? I do not ‘dwell in darkness’ I paid my light bill at my baptism. Keep praying for me lottery is 2nite and I got my ticket. Ciao, amico

April 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Over the years Exodus International president Alan Chambers often claimed”Tens of thousands have changed from gay to straight.” He has now admitted that is not true. He said at the Gay Christian Network’s conference in Jan 2012 that 99.9% of gays in Exodus could not change from gay to straight. He restated that in his blog in Feb, and nobody from the Exodus board contradicted him. What did get challenged was Chambers’ statement calling gays “brothers and sisters in Christ.” None of this contradicts Matt’s claims, but it is important for those who still claim being gay is a choice when leaders like Chambers and John Smid who were the main voices of the “change is possible” slogan have both admitted they are still same-sex attracted and everyone in their ex-gay ministries is, too (Smid was leader of the recently-extinct Love in Action, affiliated with Focus on the Family). At least we are moving onto common ground now with all the modern medical associations in agreeing that sexual orientation itself is not a choice. This is important. Certainly, some gay Christians try to live a celibate life and they encourage each other on the Gay Christian Network.

April 17, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Those who attack gays do not even bother to be civil in their words or tone. That reveals more than anything I can say. This issue is not that complicated. Everyone now agrees that sexual orientation is not chosen. Matt admits he has same-sex attractions every day, the same as all the millions of other Christians who are gay. The Gay Christian Network encourages those who want to live celibate lives, but does not cut off communication with those who choose to marry the person they love. That is sensible. Christians who don’t personally know any gay Christians may find Davide’s cruel claims believable, but anyone who takes the time to get to know gay Christians realizes such claims are wildly inaccurate. You may not agree with marriage equality, but there is no excuse for cruelty in the name of Christ.

April 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm

@jermone, i am not cruel. Quit playing the part of a victim. Never in my life have I ever said SSA was a preference. I do not think anyone choses SSA. why would they? homosexual sex acts are freely chosen so is fornication.

April 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Look at your own words and think how they would sound to the ears of a gay teen on the verge of suicide, or to the legislators in the Third World who are debating draconian legislation to lock up suspected gays for decades in dungeons you would not last a week in. Your words do not bring the love and light of Christ to shine, they increase misunderstanding and abuse of your fellow human beings and fellow Christians.

April 17, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Since we all now agree that a person’s sexual orientation is lifelong, not chosen and not changeable, let’s treat people who are gay with the same dignity as we treat all others. True religious liberty will come when we have marriage equality under the law. That way all the churches and individuals can be free to follow their own beliefs on this issue.

April 17, 2012 at 6:38 pm

@ jermone, poppycock! Gay teens have much more to worry about than anything I could say or do. You guys who have come here and pushed LGBT movement never once not once talked about the the STD epidemic among active gay men. Absolutely no one bullies gay men more than other gay men. The CDC tells us that 62 percent of all new HIV infections are from active gay men even though they make up no more than 2 to 4 percent of the adult population. The horror is gay male youth are most effected. 15,000 gay youth in the US are ill because of HIV each year! Each year! How many of those kids are killing themselves on hearing this news? Hundreds? Thousands? What about the host of other STDS and high rates of cancers? Promuscuity? Drug and alcohol addictions? If it was not for better treatment active gay men would still be dropping like flies within two years of being infected. Until active gay men and teen modify their behaviors the epidemic will continue. Of all high risk groups only the gay population is seeing increases in HIV. Whom is bully who?

James said:
      April 17, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Davide,

Good grief …. how can you get it all so backward. Every wonder why gay men have such high STD rates, drug and alcohol addictions, promuscuity, suicides? Because they learn to hate who they are from a very early age….. from the kind of messages they hear on the playground and from the pulpit. People rebelling from guilt to some very seriously dangerous and negative things. This is about pure psychology…… NOT any kind of gay “behavior” or “culture”.

April 17, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Your shrill screed makes the best case for monogamous marriage for gays. Support marriage equality to improve all those things you mentioned.

April 17, 2012 at 6:56 pm

And if you know a gay Christian who wants encouragement in living a celibate life, send them over to the many others who are working for that at the Gay Christian Network. They love the Lord and speak with love and kindness to their fellow gay Christians.

April 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm

The AMA (American Medical Association) endorses marriage equality as the best way to improve the health of gay Americans.

April 17, 2012 at 7:16 pm

The AMA also says abortion for womans health. Do you really think same-sex ‘marriage’ will keep gay couples faithful? Even the LGBT movement and Dan Savage will admit that, silly.

April 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm

*Won’t admit that. I tell you what if you can show me that Jesus.. the Apostles, Church fathers, the saints, or sacred tradition supported same-sex ‘marriage’ i will take another look.

James said:
        April 17, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Again… all backwards… you keep getting all the cause and effect stuff backwards. The whole monogamy thing has NOTHING to do with gayness. It has everything to do with being male.

April 17, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Your heart is so bitter you can’t post without sarcasm, name-calling or condescension – those are not the traits of Jesus. They are the traits of the religious conservatives of his day, the pharisees who opposed Jesus. I will keep you in my prayers,and hope you will do the same for me.

April 17, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I left out red herrings, like your linking of gay men’s health with abortion. lol

April 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Obviously, marriage itself is no guarantee of fidelity, but it does increase the likelihood of fidelity, regardless of sexual orientation. Stop the smear campaign. Speak with Christ’s love.

April 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm

exactly when did I call you a name. FYI information I said the AMA also said abortion was woman’s health. Take a look what the American College of Pedetrians says about homosexual behavior? In fact they were so concern about this last year they sent a urgent bulletin to all the public schools in the US. Homosexuality is a extremely complex issue.Its not as simple as the ABC’s. Ok we don’t agree but you came after me first. I have no doubt you are a Christian. But i think you are confused about homosexuality and what is a what is not a marriage.

April 17, 2012 at 8:20 pm

You reference a fairly new anti-gay advocacy group with the purposely misleading name dedicated to denying the overwhelming evidence provided by the actual American Academy of Pediatrics. Your group is not based on the scientific method of beginning with the evidence, it is based on bolstering old prejudices.

April 17, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I want to correct my own error. It should have read 100,000 gay teens are infected in the US with the HIV virus each year and 15,000 gay men die each year from AIDS

April 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Another good reason to encourage marriage equality. Thanks.

April 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm

There are many tens of millions of Christians who happen to disagree with you on this one issue. To most young people today who have friends or family members who are honest about their sexual orientation, this is all no big deal. You and your church will still be free to follow your own beliefs when marriage equality comes to your state. The 1% of married couples who choose a same-sex spouse are not the biggest threat to marriage today. That is the 99% of couples straight or gay who have had pre-marital sex, the 75% of couples who have experienced adultery, and the half of marriages ending in divorce. 40% of the couples in the average evangelical church are remarried, yet Jesus condemned that clearly and said anyone who remarries is committing adultery against their first spouse. Mark 10:11-12

April 17, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Maybe those of us who are straight Christians would have more moral authority if we cleaned up our own houses first. Didn’t Jesus say something about a plank and a speck?

April 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm

every coin has two sides. Could it be accurate to say that the ACP findings do not line up with your own prejudices? Do you have scientic proof to back up your hypothosis? you never did answer one of my questions. But its cool.

April 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Wrong. You can’t claim that a tiny anti-gay advocacy group formed in the last decade with the express purpose of rejecting and ignoring all the evidence they don’t like is the same as the huge American Medical Association or the Academy of American Pediatricians. There is not one single science-based association (groups which follow the evidence to the conclusion) which backs those old views. Starting with the conclusion first is the very definition of pre-judging, aka prejudice.

April 17, 2012 at 8:46 pm

agreed! But we shouldn’t the pollute the institution further. Heterosexual couples are screwing it up fine on their own. For your FYI my parents have been marriedalmost 40 years and eleven thriving and successful kids. If same-sex marriage comes to my state I will accept it as long as it does not infringe on my rights.

April 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm

My parents had the happiest marriage I knew about growing up and through most of my life. And there were 7 kids, of which I am the firstborn. I am glad you came from a happy home, and I am glad you will accept marriage equality in your state when it comes. And your rights to marry the person you love will not be infringed.

James Columbus said:
    April 17, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Couple things:

1) As a gay man, I will be the first to insist that the gay community needs to take responsibility for the spread of HIV. Now that we know how it’s caused, the responsibility is OURS to stop its spread. We can no longer blame Reagan or anyone else. This requires not only self-control but self-RESPECT as well as a respect for others.

2) There are not 100,000 teens that acquire HIV every year. According to the CDC, it’s closer to 45,000 with gays making up about half of those new infections, so it’s closer to 20,000 (which is admittedly still to high). Of further interest is the fact that African-Americans and Latinos compromise almost 60-70% of those new infections every year. Whether this is due to lack of education or the social stigma of homosexuality for these groups that make being on the “down low” a necessity is uncertain.

I can tell you this: as someone who is comfortable with who he is, I don’t need to troll parks or sex clubs. I don’t have to engage in anonymous sex with a stranger in a seedy bar to avoid being found out. I’ve had ONE boyfriend for over a year now. Our families know about our relationship and are supportive. Having that love and support prevents the type of serious dysfunctional behavior you sometimes see.

April 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm

james thank you for your honesty. I admire this about you. I had a long drawn out comment in rebuttal to a earlier comment but I not post now. Its funny but my information also came directly from the CDC. I have been researching SSA for about 2 years now because for about 5 years I had SSA but that is old news now. Its funny but I have straight friends and SSA friends and we all pal around together with no fighting. Sure we raz each other but all in good fun. None of my gay friends are involved in the movement they seen indiffrent. Ofcouse what you and I have discuss here me and them do not discuss. We see no need in it-only cause animosity and who wants that? Besides I love the guys. Life is kooky and to many damn labels-we got to label everything and everybody. Ok see you ciao

April 17, 2012 at 10:16 pm

May the peace of the Lord be with you.

April 17, 2012 at 10:29 pm

thank you! I am deeply sorry if I hurt you in anyway. I am not a humble man nor especially kind English is my second language and I am an Italian immigrant which might explain things. Us Italians are never the type to mix words. I get mine from my mother so blame her. Jerome, friend! God does love you! Again my apologies if I harmed you. The blogosphere makes the world to small and everyone is right and no one is wrong. Hence bitterness rules and we all become a sourpuss. Its ok we don’t agree and exchanging ideas is a very good thing-be well

April 17, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Thanks, be well, too!

pastorovj said:
    August 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I just want to throw in some sense on the whole “Calvinist” thing.

Let me start off by saying that I am a Calvinist preacher. A true Calvinist believes that yes, once you are saved you will always be saved. Why is that? Well, because the Bible says so. The Bible says its a free gift from God. It is our free will to accept it or reject it. Once you accept it, there is no turning back. This is where we believe you are always saved. The Bible says that you become a new creation and our old self is passed away. God spoke us into holiness when He said, “Be ye holy for I am holy.” He isn’t asking us to be holy, he commands us into it.

Salvation is about what Jesus did on the cross not what we do on our own. Our deeds aren’t good enough for salvation, pre or post accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior. That’s why Jesus had to die. The Bible says salvation is through Him, and not of ourselves lest any man should boast. This is why there are two different judgements in the end times. The sinners will be judged according to there sin/sin nature, whereas the believer has a rewards judgement. What we did with our salvation determines the crowns and rewards we get in heaven. Are you an ambassador for Christ and receive many rewards, or were you someone who accepted Jesus but never really did anything with your salvation and have no crowns to place at Jesus’ feet?

One last note, Calvinists DO NOTbelieve that once you become saved you can live life however you want. Again, we believe that you are transformed at salvation and you will live a holy life that is shown over time and is EVIDENCE of your salvation, as stated in scripture. Those who aren’t Calvinist tend to put words in our mouths by saying that we believe that we can live life however we want after salvation.

Rev. Orlando Vergel Jr. (@PastorOVJ)

Darrell said:
    November 22, 2012 at 11:12 am

Reblogged this on Same-Sex Attractions and commented:
    In this post, Matt speaks on a theme I have repeated often in this blog: for someone experiencing homosexual attractions, heterosexuality is not the cure or goal. Spiritual growth, holiness, transformation, renewal and salvation are all processes, not events. God wants to redeem the whole person, not just our sexuality. When a person makes his or her commitment to Christ, he or she must come into agreement with God regarding different aspects of his or her life. Real change does not mean we won’t ever have same-sex attractions, desires or urges again.

Gene Jenkins said:
      November 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm

@Darrell: Absolutely right! God did “cure” people in times when it was necessary for Him to be made known to a culture who didn’t have written word and the one true message among countless false messages. Jesus was sent to redeem us from all the sin, no matter which one(s) that the world experiences. His instruction is to take up our cross and follow Him. This never meant that we’d be cured from anything other than our sinful state as we stand before God. It’s all about choice. Everyone on here who is condoning homosexuality, in particular, are making a choice. The problem is trying to mold that choice into an acceptable Christian life. It can’t be done unless bringing in false teaching which has gotten to the point of claiming God designed a person to be a homosexual and/or pointing to the Apostle Paul as making a “few” unfortunate comments against a portion of life that supposedly didn’t exist in his time. In the book of Ecclesiastes 1:9 (authored by King Solomon) he states: “What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.” When God designed His plan of salvation it wasn’t an ongoing piece of work. It is complete and relevant to every age and time. The problem is the intensity of Satan who, like in the garden of Eden, is masterful at making God out to be the liar and not one who means what He says. It’s only a beautiful piece of fruit, pleasing to the eye and God certainly won’t put you do death if you eat it”. This has been the argument from that moment until this… God does mean what He says and no argument or assumptions or changing scriptural intents will change the mind of God. If one wants to follow God, then by all means do so but don’t be fooled into the false notions that are being passed around on this blog that God doesn’t necessarily mean what He says by using psychological or sociological arguments. We all are free to choose what life we will live but we can’t re-write or bend scriptural meaning to be acceptable with God. Follow God and live, follow self and be taken in by Satan. Put very simply, this is the choice!

Darrell said:
        November 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Hi Gene. (When stating, “I have repeated often in this blog. . .” I was referring to my SSA blog, not Matt’s blog. I just wanted to clear up that miscommunication for others.) Gene, your points are spot-on. It is about our personal choices (decisions) regarding Christ. We must be extremely serious, deliberate and honest when calculating the cost of following Jesus.

Many have no qualms about accepting eclectic (and contradictory) views and values (involving various aspects of life). It is easier to consider Jesus as one of several options rather than the only option. Or to mold Him to fit our own worldview or “truth”. But such a philosophy is not an option.

We must base our beliefs and actions on God’s intentions and commands in the His Word. Not on what we hope God will permit and overlook. Only by choosing to serve God can we fulfill the purpose for which God gave us life.

Manic Chef said:
        November 23, 2012 at 10:34 am

Gene: No one can follow God unless God puts that desire within the person. It is God that causes a man to believe in Him. Men who do not know God, are already dead and their god is Satan. Man just does not choose to follow Satan, they are already dead in their sins and trespasses, so they are Satan’s already. Religious persons who are NOT truly born again, by God’s spirit but of their “own” choosing, are also following the author of their “faith”, he is Satan. So what you are stating in part actually means you also are guilty of believing in a lie and teaching it.

Gene Jenkins said:
        November 27, 2012 at 12:37 am

back that up with scripture and I’ll seriously consider what you are saying… until then it’s no more than your own conjecture.

Reggy said:
    January 17, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Wow, that’s so true! I feel the same!! It’s just… being gay…without that sexual lifestyle…isit still sin? Something to confess?